SMS is currently unavailable to new users. To be notified when it's available, please reach out to our support team.
In this guide, you’ll learn how to activate SMS, how to start collecting SMS numbers, and how to get your SMS program off the ground with a pre-built SMS Welcome Workflow.
SMS is only available to customers in the United States that have the Support All People feature enabled.
Activating SMS is easy and only takes a few minutes.
- Go to Settings > SMS Setup or follow the instructions on the SMS Campaigns page to get started
- Read through the Drip Terms of Service (ToS) and confirm that you agree to our ToS by checking the box on screen
You will be redirected to your billing page, where you can follow the on-screen instructions to add your free long code sending number
Next up, you’re ready to start collecting phone numbers.
Collect Phone Numbers With An SMS Opt-In Form
Once you’ve activated SMS, it’s time to build your SMS list. To start, add an SMS opt-in form on your website. You can either add an SMS opt-in option to an existing form or use our template to create a new one.
Add an SMS opt-in by simply adding an SMS phone number field to a new or existing form:
- Use our template under Forms > Form Templates or go to the form you’d like to add an SMS opt-in to
- If you use our form template, steps 3-7 will already be done for you
Under Fields click + New Field
Under Field Label type Phone Number
Under Field Type select Phone Number from the dropdown
You will see two check box fields: Required and Ask for SMS consent
Required?: Select this field if you want to prevent users from submitting the form until this field is populated.
Ask for SMS consent: You must select this checkbox to send texts to any phone numbers you collect. Drip automatically adds the required consent language in the form which enables you to send texts to people who submit it. If you do not check this box, we will store the phone number in the Phone Number field, but you will not be able to text that number
Select both of these options and click Add
Put the final design touches on your form
Set the behavior and submission settings
Lastly, update or activate your form to start collecting SMS numbers!
Activate Your SMS Welcome Workflow
After people opt-in to SMS, it’s best practice to send a welcome text message. Just like when someone opts into your email list, people expect a welcome SMS and it’s a great way to make an impression for your brand.
All you need to do is write your texts, include your discount code, and activate your workflow. Your discount code must be entered into your message manually (copy and paste the code from your OMS).
Our pre-built Workflow has Triggers already defined to work with your ecommerce platform and include recommended Action and Delay steps.
- Shopify SMS Welcome Workflow
- WooCommerce SMS Welcome Workflow
- Magento SMS Welcome Workflow
- BigCommerce SMS Welcome Workflow
- Custom Store SMS Welcome Workflow
We’ve taken care of a few things for you:
- Opted into SMS entry trigger so anyone who submits their SMS number will enter the workflow and receive welcome texts.
- Users will receive the first text message in this workflow even if it's outside of quiet hours. SMS sends are typically restricted to 8 am-9 pm to respect quiet hours. Welcome texts are an exception because users expect an SMS after signup and we don't want to damage your brand perception.
- Delays are pre-set to ensure people hear from you at the right time. You can always change the delays to fit your needs or customer base by clicking on the delay step.
- Four best-practice text messages are provided to help structure your texts.
Helpful Workflow Tips
Here are some helpful tips about Workflows:
- Triggers are forward-facing. If you activate this workflow today, people who were added to your list yesterday will not enter it.
- Goals pull people down past any remaining steps and to the exit. If someone makes a purchase while in this ‘flow, they’ll hit the placed an order goal at the bottom of the workflow. This ensures that your customers won’t receive any messaging that’s not relevant to them anymore after making their purchase.
- People can only be in a workflow at one time—so don’t worry about them entering this workflow once they’re already in it.
- After someone exits, they’re eligible to re-enter the workflow.