Migrating from Mailchimp to Drip? Grab a cup of your favorite dark blend and learn how to migrate your list, email templates, and campaigns from Mailchimp to Drip.
Migrate Your List
Migrate your audience from Mailchimp to Drip in just one click! Drip's one-click sync:
- Tags people according to the list they are on in Mailchimp, so you don't have to recreate your lists.
- Brings over Merge Tags from Mailchimp and adds them as Custom Fields in Drip (first and last name, address, country).
- Imports email preference (subscribed or unsubscribed), so if a person is subscribed to at least one list in Mailchimp they will be subscribed in Drip.
Migrate your list from Mailchimp:
- First, log in to your Mailchimp account and export your contacts
Click the Audience drop-down and choose All contacts
If you have more than one audience, click the current audience drop-down and choose the one you want to work with
Click Export Audience , and after the export loads, click Export as CSV to download the file to your computer
Open the file with a spreadsheet platform like Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel. You’ll see both subscribed and non-subscribed people, non subscribed people being anybody who has bounced or unsubscribed from your list
In your CSV file, replace email address with email and spaces with underscores to avoid errors when importing to Drip. We also recommend changing all of the column headers to lowercase letters so it’s easier to work with custom fields in Drip. Check out our guide on Importing Data into Drip .
Once you have that done, save your CSV file, and you’re ready to import the list to Drip
Log into your Drip account and navigate to the People > Active page
Click + Add People > Begin under Upload a list of people
Upload or drag the CSV file that you just saved, and you’ll see a preview of your list with the column headers. Turn ON the option to treat the first row in your file as headers to ensure all of your data is imported seamlessly, and make any final modifications
Lastly, tag these people so that you keep the same tag name as your audience in Mailchimp
To tag people, perform additional automation actions by selecting Click Here > add another action to apply a “Main List” tag > Next > Add these people
You’ll see all of the people you just imported under the People tab in Drip. Repeat this for each list that you have inside of Mailchimp, and you’re golden!
Migrate Your Email Templates
We know how important it is to keep a consistent look for your brand, and our Visual Email Builder is here to help you build that look and feel that your customers know and love.
Log into your Mailchimp account and go to the Templates section. Decide which email templates you want to migrate over to Drip, and click on one to get started.
- Log into Drip in another tab and go to the Settings > Email Templates page
- Click New Template and copy and paste the name of the Template you want to migrate over from Mailchimp
- Click Create Template and you’ll see your template library, where you can choose a starting point for your email template
- You already know what you want the email to look like, so click + Start from scratch on the right side
Now you're in the email builder, and you can start recreating your email template. In the email builder, you’ll see the option to add a subject and preheader, which you can copy and paste from Mailchimp.
- Click on the lock icon in the header area to create your email header
- Select a block from the left and place it where you want it in the email
- Use the image modal to upload your images to Drip; then use the sliders to adjust the spacing and size of the image
- Click Done when you’re done editing a section to exit out of that section
Add the rest of your content, and click Preview to see how your email looks on desktop, mobile, and tablet. You also have the option to toggle to Mobile in the email editor and flip and stack content to make sure that your emails are optimized for mobile devices.
When you’re finished, click Done editing template , and you’ll see a preview of your new template under the Email Templates page!
Migrate Your Campaigns
Log into your Mailchimp account and take a look at your campaigns, and decide what you want to migrate. If you have any integrations connected to Mailchimp to start your campaigns, make sure you disconnect from Mailchimp and connect to Drip.
In this example, we’re going to migrate our Welcome Campaign. Campaigns in Mailchimp are more similar to Workflows in Drip, so you're going to go to the Workflow page in Drip to create your Workflow.
- Go to Workflows > Workflows
- Give your Workflow a name
- Click on the Trigger at the top of the Workflow to select how people will enter it
- Copy the list name from your Mailchimp Campaign
- Click the little + button underneath the Workflow entry point
- We’re going to apply a tag and use the Mailchimp list name for the name of this tag. Click Update this action
- Add another action to send a one-off email (One-off emails in Workflows are similar to Campaign emails in Mailchimp.)
- Click the + button again and add an action to Send an email to a person
- Select the Visual Email Builder and build your email from scratch, use a template, or recreate the look and feel of your Mailchimp emails in Drip.
- Click Save Email > Update Action
Boom! You've just recreated our Welcome Campaign in Drip. Remember to toggle your Workflow ON so it starts accepting people, and view your email engagement and revenue stats on the Workflow Dashboard at any time.