The Back In Stock function is only available to Shopify users utilizing one of these Themes.
How do the Back in Stock workflows work?
As customers navigate your store, they may come across an exciting product that is currently sold out and needs to be put in stock. To help drive future sales for repeat and prospective customers alike, people can sign up to be notified when that item is Back in Stock!
Before You Get Started
Before we dive in, we’ve taken care of a few things for you:
- The specialized “A product is back in stock” Trigger is already configured and only available for the Shopify: Back in Stock workflow. This trigger is connected to your Shopify store in order to track when out-of-stock products are back!
- Installing Shopify: Back in Stock workflow also installs the connected Shopify Back in Stock Onsite Campaign. This Onsite Campaign is already set up to populate all pages where a product or any of the product variants or options are out of stock.
- In cases where there are multiple out-of-stock product variants, people will be able to make a selection for the specific product option they’d like to be notified about when it’s back in stock
- Additionally, the choice to subscribe to marketing emails is also included in the Onsite Campaign, however, opting in is not necessary to receive Back in Stock emails as they are considered Transactional.
Not sure what the difference between Commercial vs Transactional emails is? Check out the CAN-SPAM Act.
Activate Back in Stock Workflow(s)
Install the Back in Stock Workflow(s) by navigating to Workflows > Workflow Templates on your side tab menu and using the search function to find the required Shopify: Back in Stock workflow and the optional Back in Stock Confirmation Email workflow:
Here you will find two workflows:
- Shopify: Back in Stock Workflow - Automates email notifications when an interested product or product variant (size, color, etc.) becomes available again!
- Installing this workflow also installs the Shopify: Back in Stock Onsite campaign needed to trigger people into the workflow when submitted. Be sure to switch the status to ON:
It is important to not make any changes to the Onsite Camapign's name and leave it as "Shopify: Back in Stock". Any changes will sever the Back in Stock workflow's connection to the Onsite Campaign and the trigger will not work.
- Back in stock Confirmation Email
- An optional workflow intended to send a confirmation email once a person signs up for the Back in Stock notification email.
- Installing this workflow requires you to configure the Trigger! Be sure to select the Shopify: Back in Stock Onsite Campaign:
Step 1: Edit Emails and the Onsite campaign to match your store’s Brand
It’s important to keep your communications consistent with your branding! Feel free to update these prebuilt emails and the Onsite Campaign to match your brand’s styling and tone!
Important: Do not remove or edit the prebuilt Back in Stock Product blocks from both the Back in Stock confirmation email or Back in Stock notification email. Any other changes or formatting to the email content is fine to update!
Step 2: Run through the Back in Stock flow as a shopper would!
In order to maximize the performance of your Back in Stock workflows, test the shopper’s experience by:
- Navigating to an out-of-stock product live on your site to populate the Shopify: Back in Stock Onsite campaign (Should the Onsite campaign not populate as expected, make sure the Workflows and Campaign are turned on)
- If you do not have a product currently out of stock in your store, for the sake of testing, modify a product or product variant on Shopify to be out of stock in order to fully test the customer’s experience.
- Test the email confirmation workflow by submitting a request for a product currently out of stock
- You should receive the Back in Stock confirmation email within a couple of minutes!
- Update the inventory of the product you signed up for so it is now "back in stock" and triggers the Shopify: Back in Stock Workflow
- Within a few minutes, you should receive the Back in Stock email and find the right product in the email within a couple of minutes:
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Shopify themes automatically work with the Back in Stock workflow?
If you need help locating which Theme you currently use or how to change it, follow this Shopify Guide to locate, add, or change your Shopify Themes.
I have a Shopify store but my theme is not listed. Can I deploy Drip’s Back in Stock workflows?
We can support most other Shopify 2.0 store themes, like Dawn, by making some slight modifications on an account-by-account basis. Feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in turning on Back in Stock workflows!