The Visual Builder is how you'll create highly visual and beautifully designed emails. Using the builder requires no coding experience, and you'll be able to easily plot different elements throughout your email with just a few clicks of your mouse.
In this article:
To use the Visual Builder:
- Click the Visual Builder option.
- Click Continue.
- Choose the design template you'd like to use for the email. If this is your first time creating an email with the Visual Builder, you'll see a few Pre-Designed Emails, including the option to start from scratch, that you can use to get going and expand upon. Or, if you've previously created any emails using the Visual Builder, you'll see that you can choose from those previously used email templates under the Recently Edited Emails section.
Before moving forward with using the Visual Builder, consider the following:
- If your laptop or desktop currently has touchscreen features enabled, you should disable those features before you begin to design your email. Touchscreen features have been known to restrict some functionality of the Visual Builder. Restart your web browser and computer after disabling your touchscreen.
- Recommended browsers for using the Visual Builder include Chrome, Safari, and Firefox.
- Preview your Visual Builder email design frequently to get a better idea of how your email will look when it's opened on different devices such as desktop, tablet, and mobile phones. To do this, click Preview in the email editor toolbar:
When you build an email with the Visual Builder, you'll see three main content areas that you'll start with: header, section, footer. To the left of the builder, click the Sections tab to view the order of your content areas.
You can access and edit the different styles for each area by clicking on each item in the structure.
Each email you create with the visual editor begins in this structure:
In the email header, you'll see that we've already included an image placeholder where you can insert your logo image. To edit the header, hover your cursor over that section and click the Edit Header button.
Include your main email body content within an email section. Add as many as you'd like, and keep in mind that you can always rearrange your email sections to create the right layout (excluding header and footer). To edit an element within a content section, hover your cursor over and click.
To add additional sections, click on the Sections tab to the left of visual editor and then click Add Section.
Then, you'll see that the editor expands and displays the available areas where you can place your new section. Hover your cursor over where you'd like to place the new section and click to set it. Sections can only be stacked vertically.
The footer automatically contains the required information you'll need to send commercial emails, including your postal address and unsubscribe link. To edit your footer, hover your cursor over that section and click the Edit Footer button.
Edit the global styles to automatically apply a particular and consistent design to different elements in an email. To access these styles, go to the General tab to the left of the visual editor and click the Edit Global Styles button.
Once there, you can edit the following global styles:
This style determines the background color for all existing and newly added sections placed between the header and footer of the email. It also where you'll set the width of the email. The max width of an email is 600 pixels.
Use this setting to edit the font families, font sizes (in pixels), and font colors for your email headings and paragraph text. You'll also see that you can modify the color and toggle the link decoration (underline) for your links.
For call-to-action buttons, you can modify the font family, font size, text color, and button color.
Once you've configured your base email styles, be sure to click Save Changes to save your progress. Otherwise, click Discard Changes to reset those settings back to the most recently saved instance.
The easiest way to edit or add content to a section is to hover your cursor over the part of the email you'd like to modify. While hovering over an individual element, notice how you can move, duplicate, or delete that element.
You'll also see that you can either edit the background and columns or add new content to a particular email section
Click the Edit Background and Columns button to edit a section’s background styles to include an image or set a different background color.
Then, adjust the settings that appear to the left of the Visual Builder.
While hovering over a section, click Add Content to add one of the following types of elements to your email:
- line spacers
This option lets you upload a new image into your account, or insert a previously uploaded one into the email.
When uploading a new image, consider the following specs:
- Compatible image formats include JPEG, PNG, and GIF.
- Images exceeding the maximum 1800 pixel width are automatically downsized to fit that spec. This includes images placed in the header section of your email.
- Images are automatically resized for mobile.
Once you've placed an image in your email, click on it to pull up a few additional setting that will appear to the left of the email preview:
- Source lets you swap the current image for another in its place. Or, you can enter the URL to an external image you might be hosting outside of Drip.
- Link lets you turn the image into a hyperlink. Enter the URL to the webpage where you'd like to direct any subscriber who clicks it.
- Alt text lets you enter the text that should display onscreen if the email viewer's web browser or email client fails to load the image.
- Alignment lets you align the image to the right, center, or left inside of the email column it's placed.
- Vertical spacing lets you expand or contract the amount of white space that should be above and below the image.
Use this component to add text via the WYSIWYG editor to your email section. Also, take note of how you can insert custom HTML. To do so, click the Source button.
Use the slider to the left to modify the vertical spacing between columns.
NOTE: External fonts are not currently supported for emails built with the Visual Builder.
Insert a call-to-action (CTA) button element into your email.
When you place a CTA button into your email, you can set the URL where the button should direct the reader once clicked. You can also modify the button's color, alignment, width, and vertical spacing.
Insert a spacer if you’d like to add a bit of space between two elements.
A spacer can run horizontally only. Once a spacer is in place, you can modify its height. Use the slider to the left of the builder. Keep the display line enabled to change its width, stroke, style, and color.